Friday, April 5, 2013

Right to Education


Amidst the daily dose of depressing news that today’s media delivers, I will tell you an incident with an extremely positive and happy content. Of course, this will never find a space in the daily newspapers we read or the news channels we surf, but it surely deserves a space in my blog.

On 1stApril 2010, India became one of 135 countries to make education a fundamental right of every child. I like many became aware of it, but never experienced its effect on the grassroots. This was to change from January 2012, when my work brought me back to New Delhi. I started residing in Shahjahan Road with my parents and was introduced to a remarkable lady – Savitri, a quintessential household help seen abundantly in the National Capital Region.

Savitri, was not only efficient in her work but had a very optimistic approach towards life. Although, an uneducated lady she possessed a very modern outlook. Was her constant interaction with the families of bureaucrats residing in the colony the reason to this attitude or her zeal to improve her and her family’s life the reason, this is something I am unaware. The day I stated to interact with Savitri, I saw a very intelligent women in her, she grasped things quickly was a keen and eager learner and asked appropriate and clever questions. In many of her conversations she showcased regret and misfortune for not being educated, but in those same conversations she showed determination to educate her baby girl. Her entire dreams were woven around her daughter’s upbringing.

One evening when I returned from work, I was introduced to an adorable smartly dressed toddler in our house – Savitri’s daughter, Ayushi. In a very polished manner she exchanged pleasantries with me with her toothless smile and stuttering speech. Like any other kid, she was adamant not to go to school and wanted to play the entire day. I was instantly in love with her and played and joked around with her. Ayushi had traits of her mother -Intelligent, quick and eager learner. In our half an hour of interaction she learnt how to operate the IPOD. Savitri, insisted I make Ayushi realize the importance of school and asked me to teach Ayushi something new everytime we met.

As spring came, the day also came to enroll Ayushi in a preschool. Ayushi was admitted in a government aided school, but Savitri was not very keen with the atmosphere of the school. She complained to my mother about bullies in the school, the teaching methods and also the school’s distance from home made the little girl’s commute troublesome.

The prestigious, Raghubir Singh Junior Modern School, was just stone throw away from our house. Its proximity is so that we would wake up to its morning assembly and hear the marching beats for several days prior to the sports day. My mum, this school’s alumni, suggested Savitri to try for the school and mentioned the 25% reservation owing to the right of children to free and compulsory education act. Savitri, was excited to hear this and rushed at the first instance to the school’s premises to enquire. Her excitement was short lived as the authorities told her that the seats were filled and she would have to try next year.

Savitri set her goal for the entire year. It was to prepare Ayushi for this elite school. She decided to leave no stone unturned to make Ayushi the appropriate fit for it. Many lend their hand in her entire year’s quest, our neighbor tutored Ayushi every evening and helped her with every subject, my mum helped Ayushi speak grammatically correct English with the correct diction, my father gave his letter of reference and monitory help whenever required.

By the end of the year, I was preparing my shift to Sydney with my husband, I would occasionally meet Ayushi and she would surprise me every time with her new learning. Finally the D day came. I was talking to mum on Skype and Savitri interrupted by asking me to pray that all goes well. Ayushi, gave a very good interview, the selection committee was impressed with her, since she was residing within the 1 km radius of the school this added to her favour. The next day the big news came, Ayushi, was selected to start studying in Raghubir Singh Junior Modern School. A prominent school of New Delhi, for which parents lobbied extensively to get their kids admitted. Add to the absolute joy was the fact that she would be educated free of cost throughout her schooling and all her expenses related to academics would be borne by the school.

Today, Savitri is a proud mother; Ayushi, in her own sentences looks forward to study in the school where there are beautiful swings and lovely gardens to play. Ayushi’s tutor our neighbor can’t stop smiling on her pupil’s achievement. My parents and I are delighted and are very happy for Savitri’s family. Above all, we are thankful to this wonderful act by the government that aided to fulfill this mother’s dream and none of us misses any opportunity to narrate this tale of success!

 

1 comment:

  1. Avni,

    It's indeed a great achievement for Ayushi!!! Here's hoping every child can avail his right to education!!!

    ReplyDelete